Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Package it and overprice it, and I need it - or, Organic Avenue Juice


An Organic Avenue opened on the UES, en route from my apartment to the subway.

It may have been there for a while, but I finally stepped in last week, with my boyfriend. While he stood awkwardly among the ladies clad in yoga wear, I picked out what seemed to be the "beginner" juices. A ginger lemonade, and royal red, and a "mylk".

He had a coronary at the cash register, and then a second one when he calculated how many fully-decked hot dogs he could get for the same price. There was a moment of weakness when he reminded me that Shake Shack and Arturo's were both in the vicinity.

But I was happy, with the cute little squat bottles and the promise of enough ginger to ward off zombie flu.

How did it taste?

                                                   Master Tonic
Ginger Lemonade - it burned so much going down. The thought of subsequent burning meant this sat in the fridge at work until the cleaning lady pitched it. Thereby I avoided the guilt of throwing out $7 worth of liquid. Well done!



                                                   Royal Red Juice
Royal Red - Also a bit of a burn, but so pleasant and beautiful. I really liked this, and will try to drink it a few times a week.

                                                   Creative Cashew Hemp Mylk

Creative Cashew Hemp Mylk - First, it tastes so good. I congratulate myself on having a body that enjoys and craves healthful things. For example, in addition to this "mylk", I enjoy sleeping, which is healthful. Then, suddenly, a previously dormant tastebud kicks in and alerts you that this actually tastes like dirt. Like earth. And when you read that "organic irish moss" is involved in this, you leave this to the mercy of the cleaning lady as well.

Is there a juice cleanse in my future? Not looking likely. My fear of coconut water keeps that possibility at bay.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment