Monday, January 6, 2014

My January Cure - January 6

Today's January Cure assignment needs a bit of tailoring. 

Find a spot in your home that you rarely (maybe never!) sit in that gives you a view on a room or area that you feel is especially problematic. Take a seat on a chair (or the floor) and just observe for ten minutes. Turn off TV, radio, music and your phone - this is a quiet exercise and is most effective with focus and concentration. 

I stood in the kitchen and looked through to my living room. Also, Vanderpump Rules was on so I maybe failed this. But I couldn't miss Stassi's birthday in Cahhhh-bowwww, could I?

1. Look around the room and try to imagine what it would look like empty. Recall what it was like when you moved in. 

I just moved in and it was empty; limited imagination required.

2. Once you have done that, focus on whatever part of the room that you feel is the most problematic and imagine removing the "stuff" from that area - furniture, belongings, everything. Now, start rebuilding that area, adding back in only what feels right and looks good in your minds eye. 

Also easy. My apartment is teeny tiny, so the furniture in here can't really be changed. Also, the furniture goes where it fits, and there is rarely more than one furniture setup that would be functional. 

That being said - there are 3 problem areas: 

Bedroom - I have recently faced my pillow addiction. 12 pillows = seven on my bed + five in temporary storage on this chair. I need to figure out storage for the pillows, figure out how to fit a large armoire here, and at some point drop off all those bags of laundry. 

Yes, I drop off my laundry. Evidently I am a millionairess.  

What I want: A cute set up between the armoire and my chair, where we can perhaps sit or at least pile our clothes at the end of the day. 


Kitchen - I need space. I have absolutely no prep space. Maybe I don't cook very often, but I would at least like the option. Also, under the sink is a mess. 


What I want: A cute little kitchen cart for extra storage space and prep space, and better under the sink storage including a closed-top garbage can. 

Pantry - I rather grandly refer to the corner between my bathroom, fridge and kitchen (hard to visualize, I know) as the pantry. I have a secret guilty pleasure, and it is watching pantry organization videos on YouTube. Enjoy.

This odd little space will have to serve as a pantry, cleaning product storage, paper product storage, microwave's home and extra toiletry storage. 

So this is more of a pantry/garage. 

 

What I want: A neater pantry, with uniform storage to cut down on all the boxes. I'm thinking big mason jars, because I am poor. I'd love to shove the AC unit out of sight. And somehow hide all of those toiletries, because storage in the bathroom is just not an option. I think adding shelf risers, at least in the back corner, would be awesome. I would love to try making those myself.

3. Make note of what changes you envision and move forward with some additional clarity about how you truly want your home to be; what you need and what you can move forward without.

Noted! And I already have a few things on the way to help - including a kitchen cart, armoire, some storage products...more to come!


Pest update: Saw a teeny one today, an he was on his back dying. I am terrible because it made my 'effin day.

No comments:

Post a Comment